Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Water wise gardening

Well it appears to be official, in the news anyway, 'the drought is over'.  I'm reserving my judgement, until it rains like this for a few more years.  Too many times the drought has broken for a year or two, with disappointment the following years when the drought returns.

The flooding that has resulted has been reported as out of the ordinary.  Contrary to this, I recall then I was a young girl many areas of the Riverina near my home town Leeton flooded.  My thoughts continually go to the suburb of North Wagga.  The flooding occurred every few years, to the point that when it was suggested the suburb be moved, the moto became "We shell not be moved'. I believe the same moto still appears on the suburb sign today.

Whether or not the drought is over, should not impact the need to have a water wise garden.  Having plenty of water doesn't give us a reason to waste our resources. As responsible human beings we should ensure we do the best we can to reduce the consumption of all our resources, water, coal and oil. 

So with summer almost on our doorstep, this is just a friendly reminder to continue your water wise practises, even with all this rain. The tips outlined in the article below, specifically refer to the vegetable garden, but is applicable in all areas of the garden.

http://www.helium.com/items/1743934-how-to-water-my-garden

No comments:

Post a Comment